Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Merry Christmas, Baby (Jesus)

The title of this post was inspired by the Bruce Springsteen playing on my radio right now (as so much in my life is), but what's to follow was inspired by my spiritual musings this Advent season. So watch out, it's about to get reflective. You can skip this post if you're looking for something about my proximity to the North Pole this Christmas. Sorry.

I thoroughly enjoy Advent. Theology nerd that I am, I can safely say it is my favorite time of the liturgical year. I enjoy the sense of quiet anticipation and joy that comes with knowing that Christ will soon be entering the world. I also enjoy the challenge that Advent offers: the challenge to personally re-evaluate the way I have been birthing Christ into the world in my own life. How have I figuratively welcomed good and love into the world, the way Mary did literally? What has distracted me from this?

This Advent season I've realized that, ironically, anticipation itself has distracted me from doing my best to welcome good and love. Knowing that this JVC commitment is only a year long has had an odd effect on me: dreamer and planner that I am, I have found it very difficult this year to stop looking ahead. I am constantly steps ahead of myself, creating fantasies of where next year will take me. As you could guess, this has made living in the present much more of a challenge than it ever has been for me before. And, because I value ministry of presence above all else, this constant planning has made me feel that I am not bringing Christ into the world to best of my personal ability this Advent season. While others must fight to gain motivation and look ahead, I must challenge myself to live singularly in each day.

I hope that this Christmas, each of you are able to question how good and love have entered your world, and how you can bring these things to others. For me, this will literally mean the end of anticipation, both liturgically and (hopefully) personally. Because, this Christmas, I am asking for presence.

Sending light and warm wishes from the dark and frozen tundra, Merry Christmas!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

So you gave up facebook for lent wow what and accomplishment, I don't know what I would give up.

Unknown said...

so you gave up facebook for lent?